To make an account on the biggest social media website, that is Facebook, you would need to submit and confirm your email address. This is done not only for identification purposes but you can even get your account unlocked in the case of a lost password. But what if the email that you are using is an old one or dormant?
There can be a lot of reasons to change your email address or shift to a new one. In any case, it gets necessary to shift all your related accounts to your email address so that you don’t miss any kind of update or important information that was sent to you.
So how would you do it? Today I am going to share with you some simple and easy to follow steps that you can use to change email addresses on Facebook. Have a look:
Changing Email Address on Facebook
Updating Email Address via Desktop
Using the following steps you can easily change the email address on your Facebook using your desktop.
- Open the web browser that you use and login to your facebook account using your ID and password.
- Once you are logged in, you will find a downward facing arrow in the top right corner of your browser window. Click on it. After you have clicked on the arrow, you will notice that a new list has popped up with some options on it.
- Here you will find the “Settings” option, click on it.
- After you are on the next page you will see another option by the name of ”General”,
- click on it. The page that will open is known as the “General Account Settings” page of Facebook.
- Here you will find another option by the name of “Contact”. In front of it you will see a small pen shaped icon, click on it to edit contact information.
- Now click on “Add another email address or mobile number”.
- A new dialog box will appear, here you will be able to enter and add another email address that you want to.
- After you have entered it, click on the “Add” button.
- Facebook is really concerned about the security of its users’ data so before you finalize the changes, Facebook will ask you to confirm your identity by entering the password of your Facebook account once again. So, simply enter the password and click on the “Submit” button.
- A new window will appear to relay the message to you that an email has been sent to your new email address for account identification and authentication. You will have to confirm your email address by opening the mail in your inbox and clicking on the link sent to you. This last step will finalize the process.
- You can also submit the confirmation code mentioned in the email, under the contact section. That will also help in authenticating your new email address.
- After you have added it, you can remove your old email address from the contact if you wish to.
So these were some of the steps that you can follow to change your email address via desktop. Now what would you do if you are not able to access your computer? Don’t worry, here is another way through which you can change your email address using just your smartphone.
Updating Email Address via Smartphone
To update your email address via smartphone you will have to ensure that you have facebook mobile app installed in your device. It will ease up the process and you will be able to make the necessary changes in no time.
- Click on the Facebook app icon in your phone and login to your account if you have not done it already.
- On the top right corner of the screen you will see three horizontal lines stacked. Click on it to open the menu.
- In the new window, scroll down to find the “Setting & Privacy” option. Click on it.
- You will see another list, here click on the “Settings” option.
- This will open Facebook’s account settings page.
- Here click on “Personal Information” button.
- Here you will find different options and settings to change your personal details, click on “Email Address”.
- Then click on the “Add email address option”.
- Now you will get the option to enter your new email address that you want to attach with the account. After you have done it, click on the “Add Email” button.
- Now you will have to open your email’s inbox to check for any mail sent by Facebook for confirmation.
- Here you will find the link to confirm the authentication just like the previous method.
- You can also enter the confirmation code instead of using the link to confirm it.
After you have confirmed it, you will finally have your new email address attached to your Facebook account and done with change email addresses on Facebook . If you wish, you can remove the old address to stop receiving any kind of mails from Facebook.
Hope it helps.
Thanks for reading!